Events hosted in October Business Month with positive feedback, resulting in action plans.
Now in its 27th year October Business Month (OBM) has supported Territory businesses by, providing access to a month-long program of inspirational and educational events designed to inspire and grow Territory businesses.
Traditionally, OBM focussed on delivering a program of high-profile national and international keynote speakers and delivering over 100 events in partnership with ‘event partners’ across the month. In recent years a desire from the business community to hear more of the local perspective has seen the program showcase an increased number of Territory experts and business stories.
The economic circumstances confronting the Territory, the nation and the world since 2020 have dramatically changed the operating environment for Territory business leading to a revised program structure.
Innovation events are now scattered across the month through various event offerings reaching into the regions and innovative themes are incorporated into each event offering and no longer in a ‘week’.
- October Business Month 2021
The Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade, Business Innovation are presenting two events.
Innovation - not a buzz word but a business model | Alice Springs Friday 15 October 2021
Innovation is a word everyone is using but what does it really mean and how can your business benefit. The Doblin innovation framework is explained using real life experiences. Presented by Jamie Toyne, Economic Development Manager for Desert Knowledge Australia and Martin Redhead, Director of Business Innovation.
How can drones add value to your next project? | Darwin Thursday 28 October 2021
Find out ways to leverage the drone ecosystem to boost our economy and livelihoods. Join forces with drone industry experts in a live Q&A session on how to shape the Territory’s drone ecosystem and take advantage of current opportunities.
- Dr Reece Clothier - president of the Australian Association for Unmanned Systems and senior manager in global regulatory strategy, product and services safety for Boeing
- Jacki Dujmovic, Hover UAV - Expert on drone technology, safety and compliance
- Vanya Bosiocic, Charles Darwin University - Emerging insights for integrating drone technology into the healthcare system
- Plus more to be announced!
The Darwin Innovation Hub Croc Pitch 2021 is additionally supported by the department.
Croc Pitch | Darwin Thursday 28 October 2021
Are you an entrepreneur, innovator or growing business with a scalable service, product or technology that will make a difference to Australia’s Northern Territory? Do you have an innovation that will make a difference to Australia’s Northern Territory? Pitch for your chance of up to $1 million in venture capital.
- October Business Month 2020
The 2020 October Business Month was delivered across the Territory in a roadshow format by local experts to help business owners, operators and employees navigate through the COVID-19 economic and operating environment.
The Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade, Business Innovation presented two events which provided an opportunity for the public to see the plan to help Territory innovators achieve their goals and create deeper connections in the innovation space. Additionally the Territory Innovation Challenges Program was announced, which was aimed at energising and further developing the innovation ecosystem.
Innovation Challenges for the NT: New opportunities for innovators | Alice Springs Thursday 15 October 2020
Innovation Challenges for the NT: New opportunities for innovators in the north | Darwin Friday 30 October 2020
- October Business Month 2019
In 2019 the Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade, Business Innovation hosted a Business Innovation Showcase during a targeted Innovation Series. Thirteen events ran throughout the program:
- Croc Pitch
- CDU Innov8
- The Digital Innovation Network: what do you do with a bright idea?
- Doblin Innovation Workshop
- Business Innovation Showcase
- Sunset Stories at the Solar Centre
- Digital Springboard: Social Media Strategy
- EHS Essential Services Drone Capabilities Practices and Spatial Thinking
- Territory Space Industry Forum (Nhulunbuy)
- Territory Space Industry Forum (Darwin)
- Engineers Australia: The Unique Challenges for Regional Industry
- Territory Space Industry Forum (Alice Springs)
- Create Your Local Talent Pipeline Through P-TECH Partnerships.
- October Business Month 2018
Innovation Week was hosted from 8 to 12 October 2018 and featured a range of workshops, events and activities designed to unlock innovative thinking, celebrate and grow the Territory’s entrepreneurial talent.
Topics covered included renewable energy, digital disruption, intellectual property and idea pitching. The 2018 OBM was used to launch and promote the first innovation strategy, which included 33 actions all of which have now been implemented.
Thirty-one innovation themed events where hosted throughout October with the Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade supporting and delivering the following:
- Croc Pitch
- Renewable Energy in the NT Symposium
- Digital Disruption in the NT Symposium
- Intellectual property workshops.
- Business Breakfast with Farmer of the Year Rob Cook.